Difficulty and Terrain Ratings
Caches at Geocaching.com are rated between 1 (easiest) and 5 (most difficult) on two criteria: terrain and difficulty.
The terrain rating lets you know what the trip to the cache location is going to be like:
- 1: handicapped accessible
- 5: requires specialized equipment (for example, SCUBA or rock-climbing gear, a boat, or a 4WD vehicle) and the skill to use it.
The difficulty rating lets you know what the search is going to be like once you get to ground zero:
- 1: in plain sight
- 5: requires specialized equipment/skills to find
In the case of a puzzle cache, the difficulty rating also reflects the challenge of solving the puzzle to obtain the actual coordinates.
- ClayJar's Geocache Rating System - fill in the data and submit the form, and it spits out a rating.
- TechBlazer's Geocache Rating Calculator - fill in the data and submit the form, and it spits out a rating.
- What do the different ratings mean, and how should I rate the cache I placed? in Markwell's FAQ Update.